List:       ceph-devel
Subject:    Re: Installing Ceph without root privilege
From:       John Spray <john.spray () redhat ! com>
Date:       2015-07-31 10:09:05

On 31/07/15 07:10, Piyawath Boukom wrote:
> Dear Ceph-dev team,
>
> My name is Piyawath. I'm trying to set up Ceph on university's machine.
>
> Unfortunately, I am able to install/set up it in user mode (not root), including \
> creating Ceph user and other processes. Is it possible to do set up without root \
> privilege ?
> I'm quite new in this field, please forgive me if I ignorantly asked you.

Hi,

I guess if you're installing as non-root then you probably just want
something to experiment with a bit?

The easiest thing may be to compile from source:
http://ceph.com/docs/next/install/build-ceph/

...and then create a temporary "vstart" cluster:
http://ceph.com/docs/next/dev/quick_guide/

This is not at all suitable for putting any real data in, but will let
you play around a bit with the ceph command line etc.  If you need a
more realistic system I would suggest asking your administrator for a
way to create virtual machines, so that you can have root in the virtual
machines and install packages there.

John