List:       ceph-devel
Subject:    Re: C++11
From:       Wido den Hollander <wido () 42on ! com>
Date:       2014-09-29 17:56:41

On 29-09-14 17:24, Sage Weil wrote:
> On Mon, 29 Sep 2014, Milosz Tanski wrote:
>> A second more general Ceph question is somewhat off-topic. What about
>> C++11 use in the Ceph code base (like in this case)? It's not
>> explicitly prohibited by the coding style document, but I imagine the
>> goal is to build on as many systems as possible and quite a few
>> supported distros have pretty old versions of GCC. I'm asking this
>> because I imagine some of the performance work that's about to happen
>> will want to use things like lockless queues, and then you get into
>> C++11 memory model and std::atomic... etc.
>
> We are all very eager to move to C++11.  The challenge is that we still
> need to build packages for the target distros.  That doesn't necessarily
> mean that the compilers on those distros need to support c++11 as long as
> the runtime does... if we can make the build enviroment sane.
>
> I'm really curious what other projects do here...

At the CloudStack project we recently switched from Java 6 to Java 7 and
we said that from version X we required Java 7 on the system.

For Ceph, what keeps us from saying that version H (after Giant)
requires a C++11 compliant compiler?

That might rule out Ubuntu 12.04 and CentOS6/RHEL6, but does that really
matter that much for something 'new' like Ceph?

> sage
> --

Wido den Hollander
42on B.V.