List:       ceph-devel
Subject:    ceph build issues
From:       Sage Weil <sage () newdream ! net>
Date:       2011-10-31 16:32:06

Hi Stefan,

Here's a quick summary of the issues right now with ceph rpm builds:

- Inconsistent use of insserv vs pkgconfig throughout.  I'm not sure
if/when/where the init scripts should be configured.  And the .spec file
needs to do the right thing for non-suse dists as well.  I've gotten mixed
messages about what the right thing to do is here.

- sles failes with -lcurses.  The weird thing is that -lcurses isn't part
of our Makefile.  It's coming from a pkgconfig for something (i.e. the
build environment).

- The fedora environments in build.opensuse.org don't have the
redhat-rpm-config installed... see

	http://www.spinics.net/lists/ceph-devel/msg03793.html

There is a workaround/hack in the .spec file right now that should be
removed at some point.

- There are a zillion rpmlint errors on the packages that do build
successfully.  No idea how important those are.

The build results are at

	https://build.opensuse.org/package/show?package=ceph&project=home%3Aliewegas

if you haven't found them already.

Also, I should also mention that most of the stuff in the build.opensuse
has been pulled back into the ceph.spec.in in git, but not everything.

Thanks!
sage