List:       ceph-devel
Subject:    [ceph-devel] v0.8 released
From:       Sage Weil <sage () newdream ! net>
Date:       2009-05-29 22:13:44

Hi all,

We released v0.8 last week.  Changes in this version include:

    * Client / MDS protocol simplification -- faster, less fragile
    * Online adjustment of data and/or metadata replication
    * O_DIRECT support
    * Debug hooks moved from /proc to /debug (debugfs)
    * Faster xattrs
    * Faster readdir (client can cache the result)
    * Support for upcoming 2.6.30 kernel
    * Better error reporting on mount errors (permission, protocol version
      mismatches) or disk format mismatches
    * Lots and lots of bug fixes

Things have sped up significantly (single threaded dbench, for example, is
almost twice as fast), and overall things are much less vulnerable to
obscure race conditions.  MDS clustering is somewhat more stable (although
still not stable enough to be recommended :).  The most bug fixes, though,
are in the distributed object storage layer's failure recovery and data
migration code.

The next release is mostly going to focus on object storage.  We are
cleaning up the interfaces and building a 'librados' (RADOS is the name
for the object storage cluster) that provides a simple storage interface
similar to S3.  More on that soon!

We are also doing some testing on a 6 OSD storage cluster (totalling
around ~120TB) to make sure the recent kernel client changes are stable.
Assuming that goes well, we'll release v0.9 shortly and resubmit the
client to LKML.

For for information,
	http://ceph.newdream.net/

Cheers,