List:       ceph-devel
Subject:    Re: mds goes stale when downloading a large file
From:       Sage Weil <sage () newdream ! net>
Date:       2010-03-31 16:25:21

On Wed, 31 Mar 2010, Wido den Hollander wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I was using the 0.19 kclient release, but i just switched to the GIT
> release.
>
> Mounting goes fine, but when running the "sync" command, i got:
>
> wido@wido-desktop:~$ dmesg
> [ 7314.160201] BUG: unable to handle kernel NULL pointer dereference at
> 0000000000000010
> [ 7314.160215] IP: [<ffffffffa0c8a856>] ceph_write_inode+0x26/0x1c0
> [ceph]

Did you get a compilation warning about pointer types?  I think this is
due to an API change that happend in 2.6.34.  If you're using
ceph-client-standalone.git, make sure you use the master-backport or
unstable-backport branch, which compile on kernels back through 2.6.27.

Your available bandwidth isn't the source of the problem... things should
work (albeit more slowly) regardless of the speed of the network.

Could you see about how big the file got before things stalled out?
Also, can you check for a /var/log/ceph/mds0.0 log file (or any mds0*)?
The 'reconnect' message suggests that the MDS is crashing (and another is
taking over), and the log file often has a stack trace indicating where
things went wrong.

Was the ceph package version 0.19.1?

Thanks-
sage