List:       ceph-ansible
Subject:    [Ceph-ansible] EXT: Re: EXT: Re: EXT: Re: osd-directory scenario is used by us
From:       Warren.Wang () walmart ! com (Warren Wang - ISD)
Date:       2017-05-11 12:09:48

NVMe journals, or any Ceph filestore journal, is really only used for writes. If you \
watch the IO on your journals, you will see this. The only thing you get here is a \
faster write ACK, if you have chosen the right NVMe device. We have tested some \
slower than SATA SSD. A bit of a waste of lots of extra space in some cases.

We leverage the NVMe devices to accelerate our writes and reads. And we get the \
benefit of the flush from journal to OSD being faster too. RGW indexes are one \
example of this.

It is not uncommon for us to see both high bandwidth and high IOPS requests come in \
at the same time from the same Hadoop job. Fortunately our big data team has been \
much happier now that we have moved to this sort of setup.

Warren