List:       centos-virt
Subject:    [CentOS-virt] Proxmox VE 1.0 released today
From:       dowdle () montanalinux ! org (Scott Dowdle)
Date:       2008-10-29 21:19:43

Greetings,

Since everyone on this list is interested in Linux and virtualization... I just \
wanted to mention that the Proxmox VE folks just released Proxmox VE 1.0 today.

Proxmox VE site:
http://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Main_Page

Proxmox VE 1.0 Announcement:
http://www.proxmox.com/forum/showthread.php?t=750

I've mentioned it on this list before wondering if anyone was interested in borrowing \
some of the software from their project (since it is GPLed) and applying it to \
CentOS.

What is Proxmox VE?  It is a "bare-metal" Linux distribution based on Debian 4.0r5 \
that includes a 2.6.24-based kernel that includes support for both KVM (Machine / \
Hardware Virtualization) and OpenVZ (OS Virtualization).

Proxmox VE includes a really nice, web-based management system that allows for:

1) KVM virtual machine or OpenVZ container creation

2) Live and offline VM / Container migration from one physical host to another, \
shared storage solution not required

3) VM Image / OS Template management

4) VM / Container monitoring

Possibilities for CentOS:

a) Create "bare-metal" install media for a system based on CentOS

b) Separate out the web-management application into separate software packages that \
could be installed on existing CentOS systems

c) Separate KVM and OpenVZ so you could run an only-KVM server or an only-OpenVZ \
server.  This would be very handy on hardware that does not support VT in the CPU.

If virtualization interests you, give Proxmox VE a try and see what you think.  Feel \
free to email me directly with comments.

TYL,
--
Scott Dowdle
704 Church Street