List:       centos-devel
Subject:    Re: [CentOS-devel] Building Origin for s390x
From:       Neale Ferguson <neale () sinenomine ! net>
Date:       2018-12-07 15:14:36

We have a CentOS clone built from vault + extra Z packages + EPEL + SCLO.

What I do at the moment is a script that will:
- create the equivalent of centos:7 image and origin-release:golang-1.10
- clone several of the openshift repos: origin, image-repository, origin-web-console, \
origin-aggregated-logging, service-catalog, etcd, cluster-monitoring-operator, \
                ansible-service-broker
- clone prometheus-operator from coreos (the openshift repo doesn't have v0.23.2 yet) \

- for some repos I apply small patches to get it pull images from my own repo as well \
                as add s390x recognition (total of about 317 lines of patches for all \
                components)
- build the base images
- run make build for the components
- run makes for the releases/images
- push the images to my dockerhub repo

Using this method I've built Origin over several releases. It changes with every \
release as more components come into existence. (I am trying to get \
prometheus-operator built at the moment with which I am having a problem outlined on \
the origin list).

I'm a member of the OMF TSC.

Neale

On 12/7/18, 09:58, "CentOS-devel on behalf of Hrishikesh Barman" \
<centos-devel-bounces@centos.org on behalf of hrishikeshbman@gmail.com> wrote:

    Hello Neale,

    > I have been building Origin for use on s390x (aka Z Systems aka Mainframe) for \
a couple of years now. Currently, I have a script that will pull the appropriate \
release from github and build the various components: origin, registry, web-console, \
service-broker, and aggregate-logging. There are a handful of mods due to where the \
resulting images will be pushed and some logging package locations. I would like to \
replicate the build infrastructure used for the official releases rather than \
maintain some bash to get things going. I have access to a relatively well resourced \
Linux on Z virtual machine with external network capability. If this is feasible, I \
would like to identify what's required.
    There's a proposal[1] for bootstrapping CentOS on Z from the \
openmainframeproject. I have been reading and trying building small packages in an \
foreign environment to work on that proposal. I have access to a Z vm from IBM \
LinuxONE Community Cloud but haven't tried it yet. It would be great help if you \
could walk through what you already did.
    Links:
    [1] https://github.com/openmainframeproject/tsc/blob/master/proposed_projects/Bootstrap%20CentOS%20on%20Z.md