List:       centos-devel
Subject:    Re: [CentOS-devel] CentOS 5.7 has no centos-release-cr package
From:       Ben Galliart <ben () steadfast ! net>
Date:       2011-09-16 0:54:39

> From Marcus Moeller:
> The centos-cr repository should only be unsed during transition phase
> from one minor to another. The package will be removed once the next
> minor is release, and re-appear on next transition. (hope I said it
> right, Karan :))
>
> So the cr release package is not meant to be included in kickstart by
> default.

If CR is the recommended way to get security fixes during transition periods, then I \
would prefer to have systems opt-in ahead of time during the installs instead of at \
the last minute.

It seems odd to "strongly recommend everyone using CentOS-5 install and update their \
system using this repository" but then say it shouldn't be part of a kickstart.  Is \
it recommended to install using the repo or not?

It also discourages use of the CR repo if the official method of using the repo only \
is provided when the distribution version is in transition.  Most users are expecting \
the output of "yum update" to reflect if there is additional updates available for \
their system.  It seems like users are now expected to also manually track the CentOS \
twitter page for additional instructions or availability of a repo release RPM.  If \
that is the case, then to avoid confusion when yum normally would show no updates \
available, maybe yum should be modified to also provide details from Twitter as to \
what additional update steps are available and when. \