List:       centos
Subject:    [CentOS] systemd and 'Stale file handle' errors?
From:       James Pearson <james-p () moving-picture ! com>
Date:       2021-05-13 14:15:15

I have a CentOS 7 system where I needed to restart chronyd - but the systemctl \
restart failed with the error:

 systemd[1]: Starting NTP client/server...
 systemd[43578]: Failed at step NAMESPACE spawning /usr/sbin/chronyd: Stale file \
handle  systemd[1]: chronyd.service: control process exited, code=exited status=226

Turns out there are a couple of Stale NFS file handles from fuse mounts (related to \
gvfsd) of sub directories under an NFS mounted home directory server - but the home \
directory for the user in this case, no longer exist (user has left)

However, I have no idea why these 'Stale file handles' prevent a service being \
started by systemd ?

In this case, chronyd has nothing to do with NFS mounted user home directories - so \
shouldn't really care ?

I have tried everything I can think of to clear these stale mounts, but with no luck

Does anyone know why systemd complains about unconnected 'Stale file handles' - and \
is there any way I can tell systemctl to start a service regardless of these 'errors' \
?

Rebooting the host will be a last resort (the system is used by many users) - but in \
the meantime, I've manually started the /usr/sbin/chronyd binary directly, which runs \
fine

Thanks

James Pearson