List:       centos
Subject:    Re: [CentOS] External harddisk
From:       Bruce Ferrell <bferrell () baywinds ! org>
Date:       2020-10-01 16:03:34

On 9/30/20 9:11 AM, H wrote:
> On 09/30/2020 12:03 PM, Simon Matter wrote:
> > > Since you have taken the disk apart it will now be useless as within the
> > > enclosure there could have been a vacuum or an inert gas.
> > From what I know gas filled disks didn't exist in the times when 3X0GB was
> > on a 2" drive.
> >
> > > You will never be able to recover any data on the disk unless you go and
> > > pay
> > > for a professional data recovery organisation to read the platters.
> > No, if he did care that the disks didn't become dirty then the drive
> > should still work quite well to recover what is on it. Of course the cover
> > should be put on ASAP. If you don't believe me, just try it our yourself.
> >
> > > The price for a replacement 340GByte USB disk is about $25 which would
> > > give
> > > you a better product than your old disk.
> > The OP wanted to recover what is on the disk, not use it as a normal disk.
> >
> > Simon
> >
> > > Mark

Opening up disk drives outside of a lab environment is NEVER a good idea if you \
expect the device to be useful.

I'm thinking this disk problem is tied to your more general usb problem.

There is a guy with a shop in NYC called Louis Rossmann who MAY be able to help with \
your data recovery.   Look him up on youtube or just google the name.