List:       centos
Subject:    Re: [CentOS] mismatch in openssh latest rpm available at centos
From:       Ross Walker <rswwalker () gmail ! com>
Date:       2012-03-30 0:42:50

On Mar 29, 2012, at 11:39 AM, Johnny Hughes <johnny@centos.org> wrote:

> On 03/29/2012 09:56 AM, m.roth@5-cent.us wrote:
> > Johnny Hughes wrote:

> > > If you rebuild it, if it rebuilds, and if you rebuild anything that
> > > depends on the old one, then yes.  It may not build without newer
> > > "buildrequires" being met though.  And now, every time there is an
> > > upgrade, you have to remember to get the new one and rebuild again.  You
> > > also have to track any changes of the new "buildrequires" that you had
> > > to build.
> > <snip>
> > > If you rebuild a new ssh, you will also have to rebuild any packages
> > > that are built against the old openssh against the new openssh.
> > >
> > > If you are concerned about security ... that is the whole purpose of
> > > enterprise linux ... it backports security patches for 10 years while
> > > maintaining consistent APIs/ABIs.
> > >
> > > If you want the latest packages on your machine, then you want Fedora
> > > and not CentOS.
> > Well... I can see it. We had to build a newer package for 5.x, because we
> > *had* to have PIV-II/pkcs11 support. That's *just* come in with 6.2, to be
> > able to log in with a smart card. Even so, there's a bug/enhancement (and
> > my manager has this in w/ Redhat, and it's been escalated) needed, that it
> > insists on showing the userlist of recent logins.
>
> And this can be the case ... they will roll back security items, but
> there will be some new functionality that is not rolled back.
>
> If you really need some new function, then yes, a rebuild is in order.
>
> That entails all the things I outlined above though ... figuring out
> "what else" you need to build first to use as a "BuildRequires", figure
> out what you have to build after because they depend on the built Share
> libraries of the package (or one they depend on one of your Newer
> BuildRequires that you needed).  Then you need to set up a method to
> track all the "out of band" packages that you are adding so you keep
> them up2date.
>
> This can sometimes just be the package in question ... but sometimes it
> can be a whole bunch of other packages too ... for example, if you built
> a newer openssl, you would also need to rebuild all of these afterwards
> (which build against openssl):
>
> [hughesjr@localhost SRPMS]$ for srpms in $(ls *.src.rpm); do
> is_openssl=$(rpm -qp --requires $srpms | grep openssl); if [
> "$is_openssl" != ""  ]; then echo $srpms; fi; done
> authd-1.4.3-14.src.rpm
> autofs-5.0.1-0.rc2.163.el5.src.rpm
> bind-9.3.6-20.P1.el5.src.rpm
> bind97-9.7.0-6.P2.el5_7.4.src.rpm
> certmonger-0.50-3.el5.src.rpm
> clustermon-0.12.1-7.el5.centos.src.rpm
> conga-0.12.2-51.el5.centos.src.rpm
> crypto-utils-2.3-2.el5.src.rpm
> curl-7.15.5-15.el5.src.rpm
> cyrus-imapd-2.3.7-12.el5_7.2.src.rpm
> cyrus-sasl-2.1.22-5.el5_4.3.src.rpm
> desktop-printing-0.19-20.2.el5.src.rpm
> distcache-1.4.5-14.1.src.rpm
> dovecot-1.0.7-7.el5_7.1.src.rpm
> ecryptfs-utils-75-8.el5.src.rpm
> [...]

I think when substituting core packages it's better to root the substitutes in \
/usr/local, use tagged init scripts and employ the 'alternatives' feature instead of \
trying to replace the core packages, their dependencies and dependents.

Then both can be installed and the operator can switch from one to the other as \
necessary.

-Ross