List:       castor-dev
Subject:    Re: [castor-dev] Article about Castor-JDO
From:       Bruce Snyder <ferret () frii ! com>
Date:       2003-02-25 20:29:55

This one time, at band camp, Hiran Chaudhuri said:

HC>Hi, David.
HC>
HC>My motivation is exactly like yours. We want to put our project onto JDO to
HC>get independent of the database. We currently use Adabas D (SQL) and want to
HC>move to Tamino (XML). Currently I see the chance to decouple the application
HC>from database technology via JDO, and Castor seems a quite usable open
HC>source implementation (although it does not really conform to JDO).
HC>I also had a look at Apache OJB, but they do not seem to be too stable by
HC>now, and focus on relational mapping only.
HC>
HC>A nice article on Castor, how it conforms to JDO, it's stengths/weaknesses,
HC>tool support etc would be what the world needs.

Hiran,

I wrote an article for IBM developerWorks last Summer about getting
started with Castor JDO. Part of it is a quick little sidebar article
about the difference between it and the Sun JDO spec:

    http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/java/library/j-castor/sidebar.html

Also, see the Castor JDO FAQ:

    http://www.castor.org/jdo-faq.html#Castor's-relation-to-other-specifications

Bruce