List:       cassandra-user
Subject:    Re: Best compaction strategy for rarely used data
From:       Lapo Luchini <lapo () lapo ! it>
Date:       2022-12-30 9:12:05

On 2022-12-29 21:54, Durity, Sean R via user wrote:
> At some point you will end up with large sstables (like 1 TB) that won't
> compact because there are not 4 similar-sized ones able to be compacted

Yes, that's exactly what's happening.

I'll see maybe just one more compaction, since the biggest sstable is
already more than 20% of residual free space.

> For me, the backup strategy shouldn't drive the rest.

Mhh, yes, that makes sense.

> And if your data is ever-growing
> and never deleted, you will be adding nodes to handle the extra data as
> time goes by (and running clean-up on the existing nodes).

What will happen when adding new nodes, as you say, though?
If I have a 1GB sstable with 250GB of data that will be no longer useful
(as a new node will be the new owner) will that sstable be reduced to
750GB by "cleanup" or will it retain old data?

Thanks,

--
Lapo Luchini
lapo@lapo.it