List:       cassandra-user
Subject:    Huge single-node DCs (?)
From:       Lapo Luchini <lapo () lapo ! it>
Date:       2021-04-08 13:56:20

Hi, one project I wrote is using Cassandra to back the huge amount of
data it needs (data is written only once and read very rarely, but needs
to be accessible for years, so the storage needs become huge in time and
I chose Cassandra mainly for its horizontal scalability regarding disk
size) and a client of mine needs to install that on his hosts.

Problem is, while I usually use a cluster of 6 "smallish" nodes (which
can grow in time), he only has big ESX servers with huge disk space
(which is already RAID-6 redundant) but wouldn't have the possibility to
have 3+ nodes per DC.

This is out of my usual experience with Cassandra and, as far as I read
around, out of most use-cases found on the website or this mailing list,
so the question is:
does it make sense to use Cassandra with a big (let's talk 6TB today, up
to 20TB in a few years) single-node DataCenter, and another single-node
DataCenter (to act as disaster recovery)?

Thanks in advance for any suggestion or comment!

--
Lapo Luchini
lapo@lapo.it