List:       cassandra-user
Subject:    Triggers and their use in data indexing
From:       Bèrto ëd Sèra <berto.d.sera () gmail ! com>
Date:       2014-07-03 11:41:47

Hi all,

we are planning a set of 3 data-centres (each located in a different
continent). There is a possibility that the connection among them will
occasionally fail for an unforeseeable length of time. The quorum would be
limited to the local data-centre, as each user access his local
data-centre, with the set of 3 "eventually consistent" as a picture of the
entire business.

The delicate bit is that we also have a search-engine. To insulate it from
network issues among data-centres we would like to have one for each DC.
Data would be indexed per-DC, as soon as it gets locally available.

Now the question: is there any way to use triggers so that they will
locally index data from remote DCs when it comes in?

We are in a very early stage of planning, and I am just trying to make sure
that what we plan makes basic sense, as I never used C* triggers and I am
not sure I get all the implications. The search engine is likely to be
ElasticSearch, though this is not cast in stone ATM.

Cheers
Bèrto

--
If Pac-Man had affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in a