List:       cassandra-dev
Subject:    Re: [DISCUSS] ccm as a subproject
From:       "Josh McKenzie" <jmckenzie () apache ! org>
Date:       2024-05-16 14:54:11

> We do still have the issues of DSE-supporting code in it, as we do with the \
> drivers.  I doubt any of us strongly object to it: there's no trickery happening \
> here on the user; but we should be aware of it and have a rough direction sketched \
> out for when someone else comes along wanting to add support for their proprietary \
> product.
IMO as long as it's documented well at the outset and we have plans to slowly \
refactor to move it to clean boundaries (epic in JIRA anyone <3) so it can be \
extracted into a separately maintained module by folks that need it, I think we'd be \
in great shape. That'd also pave a path for others wanting to add support for their \
proprietary products as well. Win-win.

There's always this chicken or egg problem w/things like ccm. Do people not \
contribute to it because it's out of the umbrella, or is it out of the umbrella \
because people don't need to contribute to it?

I hadn't thought about other subprojects relying on it. That's a very good point.