List:       cassandra-dev
Subject:    Cassandra project status update 2022-1-24
From:       Joshua McKenzie <jmckenzie () apache ! org>
Date:       2022-01-24 18:15:53

Three weeks to cover so not strictly biweekly this time. Apologies for the
miss last week; US holiday combined with pandemic related interruptions
meant pushing a week.

Just gives us more to talk about!

[For new Contributors]
First off, check out the official site for details on getting started with
the codebase: https://cassandra.apache.org/_/development/index.html

We have two types of tickets you'll want to check out if you're new to the
project - failing tests, and tickets with label LHF (low hanging fruit).
There's convenient URL's for each type:
Test failures:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/RapidBoard.jspa?rapidView=496&quickFilter=2252
LHF:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/RapidBoard.jspa?rapidView=484&quickFilter=2162

Feel free to self-select on those - just drop a note on the ticket that
you'd like to take a crack at it and any of us w/edit rights on the JIRA
project will get you linked to it.

Join us on slack: https://the-asf.slack.com/, channel #cassandra-dev.
There's an alias for @cassandra_mentors where you can ping a group of us
that have volunteered as mentors if you need help.

[Dev emails in the past few weeks]
Link: https://lists.apache.org/list?dev@cassandra.apache.org:lte=3w:

Trie memtables have been introduced:
https://lists.apache.org/thread/fdvf1wmxwnv5jod59jznbnql23nqosty
The wiki article for the CEP:
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/CASSANDRA/CEP-19%3A+Trie+memtable+implementation
This is some really exciting and novel work by Branimir, so if you have any
interest in high performance data structures this is worth checking out.

Paulo hit the list asking for volunteers for the GSOC mentor program:
https://lists.apache.org/thread/rht6py71z1f8cxjzpo22bhgzl3f60kdp
The follow up thread of it:
https://lists.apache.org/thread/hfxq927qrq88rko40gzgyzsqg1o2zgk6

Melissa brought up the topic of Marketing Contributions to the ASF C*
community: https://lists.apache.org/thread/lop4rkwsz82c8lznlhf1q7oddf7xzzpk
I will say personally I'd like to see us chart a path forward for committer
status for non-developer roles like marketing, website editing, developer
evangelism, etc. As our ecosystem continues to mature and evolve we'll need
to tackle this sooner or later, so why not now? ;)

For anyone trying to figure out what branch to target with your work, I put
together a wiki article that codifies some of the tribal knowledge on the
project:
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=199530302

And last but not least, Ekaterina drove a discussion about what to do with
UDF's w/regards to recent C* releases, JavaScript, and JDK17 here:
https://lists.apache.org/thread/mnxh94lg9v94bfntq88051z3ww16q2fk. The
TL;DR: having JDK17 support trumps having .js based UDF's (nevermind
licensing woes...), and we're going to target a pluggable hooks API for
UDF's and let the ecosystem maintain and evolve externally.

[Test hygiene]
Let's just rely on butler for this one:
https://butler.cassandra.apache.org/#/
Cassandra 3.0: [26 current] - stable
Cassandra 3.11: [41 current] - stable
Cassandra 4.0: [10 current] spiked from 9 failures up to 13 then is back
down to 9.
Trunk: [67 current] - Unstable. Very GroupCommitLogTest regression heavy on
run 914:
https://butler.cassandra.apache.org/#/ci/upstream/compare/Cassandra-trunk/trunk

So... that's a total of 144 test failures.

I'm starting the ball rolling on the build lead role this week so we should
at least get some of these failures wired up in Butler this week and JIRA
tickets created. Expect me to start nagging the mailing list and/or dev
channel shortly on this topic.

[Ticket Momentum]
For 4.0, we have 9 closes in the past 3 weeks:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/RapidBoard.jspa?rapidView=484&quickFilter=2278
Highlights:
- No longer block Gossip on clearing snapshots for failing repair:
- Upgrading logback to 1.2.9 (there's been a lot of eyes on logging infra
for security lately...):
- Various hygiene and maintenance fixes

On trunk / 4.1, we have 4 closes in the past 3 weeks.
Highlights:
- There's now the option to pre-warm role or credential caches on startup
helping prevent a thundering herd risk:
- Some hygiene, failing tests fix, etc.

There's a lot of *very* big, very exciting stuff coming up. As is so often
the case on this project, it's feast or famine on small changes vs. big
interesting things dropping. Been a quiet few weeks, and very excited to
see some of these new cutting edge things merge into the project.

Thanks everyone, and don't hesitate to reach out if you have any questions
or comments!

~Josh