List:       cassandra-dev
Subject:    Re: Problems with cassandra on AWS
From:       Alain RODRIGUEZ <arodrime () gmail ! com>
Date:       2016-07-11 20:32:00

Hi Kant.

it looks like ec2 instances cannot talk to each other using public IP's

"talk to each other" --> port 7000 (if not using ssl, 7001 if using it).
Make sure this port is open. From IP_1: telnet ip_2 7000 will tell you if
the port is opened.

"using public IP's" --> Are you using Ec2Snitch or Ec2MultiRegionSnitch.
The former uses exclusively private IP (listen_address, rpc_address and
broadcast_address empty / commented). The latter uses public ip for
broadcast_address. You need then to make sure ports are open between the
private IPs.

Having a look at 'nodetool status' before running operations should help
you determine the current status for your cluster. Nodes should be showing
UN status (Up, Normal).

C*heers,
Alain Rodriguez - alain@thelastpickle.com
France