List:       cassandra-dev
Subject:    Node  side processing
From:       David Semeria <david () lmframework ! com>
Date:       2014-02-27 13:50:32

Hi List,

I was wondering whether there have been any past proposals for
implementing node side processing (NSP) in C*. By NSP, I mean the
passing a reference to a Java class which would then process the result
set before it being returned to the client.

In our particular use case our clients typically loop through result
sets of a million or more rows to produce a tiny amount of output (sums,
means, variance, etc). The bottleneck -- quite obviously -- is the need
to transfer a million rows to the client before processing can take
place. It would be extremely useful to execute this processing on the
coordinator node and only transfer the results to the client.

I mention this here because I can imagine other C* users having similar
requirements.

Thanks

D.