List:       cassandra-dev
Subject:    Re: GMFD messages
From:       Anthony Molinaro <anthonym () alumni ! caltech ! edu>
Date:       2010-05-26 23:52:36

Hi,

  Still haven't heard from anyone about this, while the restart helped
temporarily, it now seems to be broken again.  I restarted one node
with TRACE logging on, and I see this

INFO [GMFD:1] 2010-05-26 23:44:44,260 GossipDigestSynMessage.java (line 129)
  @@@@ Breaking out to respect the MTU size in EPS. Estimate is 56 @@@@
TRACE [GMFD:1] 2010-05-26 23:44:44,260 Gossiper.java (line 293) @@@@ Size of
  GossipDigestAckMessage is 1374
TRACE [GMFD:1] 2010-05-26 23:44:44,261 Gossiper.java (line 937) Sending a
  GossipDigestAckMessage to /10.192.63.127

So it seems like cassandra needs 56 bytes for each server in a gossip packet
which with a maximum packet size of 1428 means at most you can have 24 servers?

Which sort of sucks, since I have 27 right now.  However, I'm not certain
how this would explain what I see which is a complete cluster restart works
fine for about 14 hours, then suddenly no longer works?

Ideas?

-Anthony