List:       cap-talk
Subject:    Re: [cap-talk] Programmatic and security models for IoT
From:       Bill Frantz <frantz () pwpconsult ! com>
Date:       2015-01-22 0:20:23

On 1/21/15 at 3:37 AM, tim+eros-os.org@coote.org (Tim Coote) wrote:

>So I have two questions:
>- Does E sound like it's a reasonable starting point for a programming model?

I think E is THE right starting point for a programming model.
Vat concurrency is robust and offers good protection from the
problems of shared memory concurrency. Promises minimize the
effect of latency on program execution speed. And capabilities
are the best way to build a POLA (principle of least authority) environment.

>- What's a reasonable starting implementation (I'm assuming
>that E itself is not currently sufficiently robust, even if
>it's useful for didactic purposes - but I'm happy to be
>told otherwise)?

The E on Java environment seems reasonably robust for
experimenting and development. The slow Java start times are a
pain. I don't think there is a good Vat Location Service, so
that has to be worked around. I can let others talk about the E
on common lisp, and I think there is another implementation as well.

Cheers - Bill

Bill Frantz        | Privacy is dead, get over    | Periwinkle
(408)356-8506      | it.                          | 16345
Englewood Ave
www.pwpconsult.com |              - Scott McNealy | Los Gatos,
CA 95032