List:       cap-talk
Subject:    Re: [cap-talk] Confessions of a C programmer
From:       Matej Kosik <kosik () fiit ! stuba ! sk>
Date:       2009-09-26 11:26:34

John R. Strohm wrote:
> Yes, we know how to eliminate the common vulnerabilities, and we have known how
> to do it for quite literally DECADES.  (Plessey 250, anyone?  Burroughs B5000
> series?  Gypsy?  Ada?)
>
> Once you admit that we have the technology, and have had it for a long time, you
> have to ask the next question: Why isn't it being used?

I guess because:

Marketplace with operating systems is not free in the same sense as
marketplace with, say, cars. Those who come up with faster, safer and
cheaper cars can succeed. Those who come up with faster, safer and
cheaper operating systems most probably will be defeated by Microsoft.
Microsoft wisely nurtures network effect or "Windows ecosystems" etc.
This is far stronger force than quality or security.
--
Matej Kosik