List:       cap-talk
Subject:    Re: [cap-talk] top-to-bottom (cajaDesk at the top?)
From:       Toby Murray <toby.murray () comlab ! ox ! ac ! uk>
Date:       2009-01-14 20:02:38

On Wed, 2009-01-14 at 19:44 +0000, Stiegler, Marc D wrote:
> Toby Murray wrote:
> One could easily imagine Caja code with Tahoe URLs. These are
> > authorities to files and directories. A Caja library that
> > allowed asynchronous Tahoe interaction would be useful here.
>
> Yes, that would be very cool. You could then run CajaDesk on Tahoe. You would still \
> need the CajaBrowser to be able to interact with a local server of some sort, \
> however, if you wanted to use authorities from more than one site.

The local server would presumably be a waterken instance. It could
provide a filesystem interface. "Directory" and "File" objects (to which
webkeys would refer) on the local server would contain Tahoe URIs.
Operations invoked on a local stub/proxy "Directory" or "File" object
would cause the local server to use the corresponding URI to operate on
the actual File/Directory being referred to.

One would get the asynchrony for free, then, from waterken, since
operations with Tahoe URIs are (I think) synchornous. (e.g. GET with a
file URI, for example, returns its contents synchronously. The waterken
server would return a (webkey to a) promise for the file's contents
which would be sent back pass-by-copy as JSON, I guess.

> The Tahoe site is one of the more interesting sites, but not the only interesting \
> site, to have a cajoled application compose authorities from. Unless the Taho guys \
> would like to run a suitable webkey message forwarding server as part of their \
> offering.

The problem here would be that that service would hold all of your Tahoe
URIs, enabling it to read/write all of your files. This is why you'd
probably want to run it as a local service on your own machine, as you
originally suggested. (This, of course, makes most sense particularly
when you're running your own Tahoe node and so all of the Tahoe URIs are
to 'localhost' anyway.)

> Then any authority on any site that has been suitably wrapped with a webkey \
> protocol becomes fair game. Zooko, Brian, how does that sound as a Tahoe extension? \
> :-)

Indeed.