List:       cap-talk
Subject:    Re: [cap-talk] Summer of Code
From:       "Mark Miller" <erights () gmail ! com>
Date:       2007-02-26 23:42:47

On 2/26/07, Kevin Reid <kpreid@mac.com> wrote:
> On Feb 26, 2007, at 14:33, Mark Seaborn wrote:
> > Would you want a Python implementation of E's Pluribus protocol?  (Is
> > it still called Pluribus or is it called CapTP?)
>
> If I understand correctly, Pluribus is CapTP + VatTP.

Yes.

> VatTP is the encryption/vat-identity component, and CapTP is the
> distributed reference component.

Yes.

> MarkM once told me [approximately] that CapTP is sufficiently complex
> that he considered it a better idea to write an E implementation and
> run (the as yet unwritten) CapTP-in-E on it than to reimplement CapTP
> in other languages.

Yes. Once CapTP is rewritten in some subset of E, it'll probably be
easier (and safer) to rehost that subset of E on the target platform
in question than it would be to reimplement CapTP directly. Of course,
at this point, this is just speculation.

If one wants only to implement an incompatible CapTP-like protocol on
some target platform, then doing so from scratch on that platform is
plausible.

Note that the next web calculus protocol is a distributed crypto-cap
protocol designed for compatibility with existing web standards, and
for compatible inter-operation between independent implementations on
a diversity of platforms. Depending on your purpose, it may be a more
suitable choice than CapTP.

    Cheers,
    --MarkM