List:       cap-talk
Subject:    Re: [cap-talk] Re: [web-calculus] YURL FAQ
From:       Al Gilman <asgilman () iamdigex ! net>
Date:       2003-08-31 20:43:10

Please pardon the cross-posting of what is likely a novice outburst.

At 02:50 PM 2003-08-31, Mark S. Miller wrote:
>At 01:58 PM 8/29/2003  Friday, Ben Laurie wrote:
> >Mark S. Miller wrote:

> >> Vulnerability to a third party.
> >
> >Explain? How do YURLs avoid this problem?
>

>Hi Ben, I'm not sure where we're failing to understand each other. I think
>this issue is important, as it is one of the foundations of the capability
>perspective on naming. (Because the issue is foundational, rather than YURL
>specific, I'm cross posting to the cap-talk list.) Since the problem may be
>something I mistakenly thought was obvious, but since I don't know which
>one, please excuse that I will proceed at times belaboring the seemingly
>obvious.
>
>But before I begin, in order to give the web-calculus and cap-talk lists
>shared context, I include below my reply to you on the cryptography list. I
>will proceed assuming you've read
>the reply included below,
>Tyler's http://www.waterken.com/dev/YURL/Why/ ,
>my own http://www.erights.org/elib/capability/pnml.html ,
>and Carl Ellison's http://world.std.com/~cme/usenix.html .
>Any guidance you can provide as to where we're missing each other would help
>to narrow the search space.
>
>Due to other claims on my time, please don't be frustrated if my responses
>come at a glacial pace, so anyone else who could help clarify should please
>jump in. Thanks.

No, I haven't absorbed the above three references.

But I had the same concern as Ben and now I think I *may* understand
what the answer may be.  So let me try to echo.

If someone puts an httpsy: scheme YURL in a document without protecting the
YURL/context binding in any way; any MITM attacker sniffing packets at IP
level can put a different httpsy: scheme YURL in its place and lure the
unsuspecting to an impostor site.  An httpsy: scheme YURL is not ipso-facto
trustworthy.  It could be from a goodie or a baddie -- the scheme has not
the power to enforce any distinction.

But there is a strong level of integrity between an httpsy: scheme YURL and
a signed document returned from an HTTPsy server as the claimed
representation of the resource identified by the httpsy: scheme YURL that
the requester received in some other transaction.

Subject to the ususal caveats about compromise of the private key in
question, it is considerably harder to synthesize a bogus
document+signature+publicKey triple that will match the hash in the YURL
than to create a matching triple if you indeed have the private key under
control that initiated the transform chain leading to the hash in the YURL.

So if an httpsy: scheme YURL is passed from 'the introducer' to someone else
in a document signed by the introducer, then the association between the
YURL and the cognitive context of the introducing message is intact with
some cryptographic strength, as strong as the signing of the introducing
context.  It's hard to fudge inside the signed document.

Compromise of the introducer's private key, F2F bogosity, and such threats
still hang over us but it's easier to trust that they haven't happened than
simply re-writing a web page in some ISPs caching proxy.

Is that close?  Warm?  Above absolute zero?

Al