List:       cap-talk
Subject:    Re: [cap-talk] [Fwd: Re: [Dev] database wire protocols]
From:       Constantine Plotnikov <cap () novosoft ! ru>
Date:       2002-12-14 5:51:29

Hi!

I have a few questions derived from subjects rather then text of the
message.

The one of the missed peices in capability security tool set is a lack
of sturctured (with option to be transactional) storage with capapbility
security in architecture and with possiblity of efficient implementation.

Current RDBMS standards are ACL based with very coarse grained
design. In most cases, there is a single user for database per application
 with all authorization implemented in applications (as native ACL
mechanisms are too inflexible or too costly). In OODBMS I do not
know common standard for data protection.

Is database from subject is aimed to fill this hole?
Where is information about that database (url)?

BTW Such database could also play role of filesystem in capabilty
OS-es. Traditional filesystem are not very friendly to capability
OSes, and EROS orthogonal persistance is very unfrendly to
portable storage (particulary if data transfered to different OS
on different processor architecture) and I have some doubts
about its suitability as general purpose structured storage.

Constantine