List:       calligra-devel
Subject:    Autocorrect functionality
From:       Albert Astals Cid <aacid () kde ! org>
Date:       2022-10-18 22:59:30

Sorry for the cross-posting.
Please CC me, i'm on none of the two lists

Both pimcommon and calligra have Autocorrect functionality, but PIM one broke at some \
point and I guess no one realized?

PIM is looking for files in
  GenericDataDir/autocorrect
  https://invent.kde.org/pim/pimcommon/-/blob/master/src/pimcommon/autocorrection/autocorrection.cpp#L1063

PIM does not install nor contain any autocorrect.xml file

Calligra is looking for files both in
  GenericDataDir/autocorrect and GenericDataDir/calligra/autocorrect
  https://invent.kde.org/office/calligra/-/blob/master/plugins/textediting/autocorrection/Autocorrect.cpp#L727

Calligra does contains an autocorrect.xml file that gets installed into \
GenericDataDir/calligra/autocorrect/autocorrect.xml

So unless there's something wrong in my assessment, PIM autocorrect is broken, and if \
it was not broken it would depend on calligra for the files to exist since it does \
not ship its own autocorrect files (that's good, since duplication is bad)

Solutions:
 A) Make PIM look for files also in GenericDataDir/calligra and live with the \
dependency to calligra for the feature  B) Accept that the feature in PIM was broken \
for a long time and just remove it  C) Make a library that both PIM and Calligra use

Ideally we would go with C but we all know it's not like we have lots of people with \
time available to jump and work on this...

Comments? Opinions?

Sorry for the cross-posting.
Please CC me, i'm on none of the two lists

Cheers,
  Albert