List:       calligra-devel
Subject:    Re: Phabricator: All repositories registered - upcoming workflow changes
From:       Ben Cooksley <bcooksley () kde ! org>
Date:       2017-02-03 23:23:45

On Fri, Feb 3, 2017 at 11:37 PM, Ren=C3=A9 J.V. Bertin <rjvbertin@gmail.com=
> wrote:
> On Thursday February 2 2017 21:50:38 Nicol=C3=A1s Alvarez wrote:
>
>>You missed the point. This "bit rot" is not about disk damage but
>>about software incompatibility. ZFS doesn't help with that...
>
> You mean diffs that no longer apply cleanly? In that case you missed our =
point. Being able to consult intermediate versions of diffs, abandoned diff=
s etc. is not to be able to apply them "as is". If there were no value in t=
he kind of code those diffs (can) contain we'd not be using git or git woul=
dn't be preserving every single bit of history.

Rene, we aren't talking about diffs here. Not even close.

What we are talking about is things like silent data corruption caused
by upgrade edge cases, database encoding changes and data storage
format changes. Not to mention changes in the software stack itself,
and our long term ability to keep it running.

> Oh well. This is just another expression of FOSS's biggest weakness. Ever=
y project has this centre-of-the-universe tendency that apparently justifie=
s breaking things for large parts of the user base whenever the project fee=
ls it's justified.

I'm not even going to respond to that.

Regards,
Ben