List:       calligra-devel
Subject:    RE: After 2.9.7
From:       "Camilla Boemann" <cbo () boemann ! dk>
Date:       2015-08-29 8:24:47

As much as I dislike forking I must admit it makes more sense than splitting the libraries.

1) there are conflicting or at list disjoint interests between krita and office. I am not \
complaining - it's just a fact. Forking will allow specialization - splitting will just produce \
arguing 2) by splitting it would fall on app maintainers to cleanup - uhm so I would have to \
spend hours to clean up for krita-needed-changes and vice versa, with no obligation from \
opposite part to make sure suc changes makes sense or are even possible to adapt to ? 3) the \
responsibility could possibly right now fall on the committer but let's not kid ourselves - \
that will change rapidly because it will mean that committers will still have to checkout all \
repos, making any benefit void. 4) the communities are already rather disjoint - few are \
present in both irc channels or help out in each other's code

On the other hand - the time together has been good or us all but I think the time has come to \
fork - I have no issue if krita wants to stay in the Calligra suite but even there their main \
pr and communication have already been split up years ago

So I suggest:
Krita.git
Calligra.git (without author, braindump, karbon, krita and kexi - so just words, stage, sheets \
and flow, libs , filters and plugins) Kexi.git

Kexi are free to depend on Calligra.git, but even for kexi I have my doubts if it wouldn't be \
better to fork

Now I realize this might be the death of the office apps if we have no one left to do website \
maintainance, releases and general work. I  will do my part but I can't do everything. So if no \
one is prepared to stay and do releases etc then it still might be better to do the spltting ( \
but is that a guarantee things will be released or will krita/kexi eventually split up or do \
their own releases anyway. In which case Calligra will be split and no one to do the even \
larger release process.

If enough people are still interested in the office apps so that we can continue to release \
then I think forking is the best thing - if not I  can only hope splitting libs will not \
produce the same fate

Best regards
Camilla Boemann