List:       calligra-devel
Subject:    Re: [KDE/Mac] about the kde4_add_plugin macro, and shared vs. module building
From:       Benjamin Reed <rangerrick () befunk ! com>
Date:       2015-03-09 22:15:46

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On 3/9/15 3:32 PM, René J.V. Bertin wrote:
> Are there other OSes where this doesn't work by definition? On OS X it's only when \
> you create a plugin using -bundle which in turn is probably required only if you \
> don't want to roll your own loading code to access the host application's \
> functions.

Unless it has changed recently, on OSX .dylibs are dynamically loadable,
but not *un*loadable, because dynamically loading shared libraries was a
bit of a hack on top of Mach-O.  Support for loading -- rather than
linking -- dylibs was originally a 3rd-party library that Apple later
integrated, but it had limitations because of the way Mach-O works
internally.  Bundles are loadable /and/ unloadable but can't be linked
against.

HP-UX had similar issues with their particular brand of a.out as well
IIRC, but I am not sure of the current state of that platform.

All of my memories of this are from the OSX 10.3/10.4 timeframe, back
when we were first figuring out how to make dynamic loading play well
with KDE on OSX, so I may be getting some details wrong. :)

--
Benjamin Reed a.k.a. Ranger Rick a.k.a. Raccoon Fink
Open Source and Mac OS X development

Blog: http://me.raccoonfink.com/
Music: http://music.raccoonfink.com/