List:       calligra-devel
Subject:    Re: Calligra licensing and copyright bits
From:       Boudewijn Rempt <boud () valdyas ! org>
Date:       2014-10-24 10:22:33

On Thursday 23 October 2014 Oct 23:17:48 Raúl Sánchez Siles wrote:
> Color profiles (ICC, ICM)
> ===================
> We're concerned about license for these profiles.

It's difficult indeed to figure out where these come from, given that's it more than \
ten years ago that they were added... The reason we keep getting queries about these \
profiles is that the place where we got them no longer exists. scarse.org is gone and \
littlecms.com no longer hosts the profiles.

> In some cases, neither
> licensing nor copyright is clear. Metadata is helpful, but not enough.
> Public domain profiles are ok, but there must be a way to verify it. For
> instance: download url where the authorship/license is stated.
>
> If color profiles (as binary file) are generated from a human readable
> source, then having source (with licensing information) would be helpful as
> well.

No, that's not the case, there is no source code for these files.

> Note: I used iccdump from debian package argyll to get profile metadata.
> (argyll package is https://packages.debian.org/sid/argyll )
>
> krita/data/profiles/WideGamut.icm (No copyright)
> krita/data/profiles/sRGB.icm (No copyright)
> PROPOSAL: verify authorship and licensing of these files.

It's too long ago to be able to do that. I'll just remove them and count on users \
installing profiles themselves. They are also so old that they probably aren't much \
good, judging from Elle Stone's blog: \
http://ninedegreesbelow.com/photography/are-your-working-space-profiles-well-behaved.html

> krita/data/profiles/scRGB.icm ( © Cyrille Berger)
> Verified. For instance:
> http://commits.kde.org/calligra/d97b7d6a5e46c057f6660cd76409b2eb62943612
> PROPOSAL: If assessment is correct, no further action.
>
> krita/data/profiles/krita25_lcms-builtin-sRGB_g100-truegamma.icc (No copyright,
> use freely)
> Included in http://commits.kde.org/calligra/b0d83bbb35b5 mentioning an
> email. Is that email public?
> PROPOSAL: verify authorship and licensing of this file.

The commit doesn't mention an email, it gives contact information for the author of \
the profile. Elle is the author.

> plugins/colorengines/lcms2/colorprofiles/data/fogra27l.icm (public domain)
> According to metadata, profile is public domain, yet the origin is needed for
> verification.
> svn://svn.kde.org/home/kde/trunk/koffice/libs/pigment/colorprofiles/data/fogra27l.icm@1069457
>
> - Rename of the same profile in scribus (where it has been presumably taken)
> svn://scribus.net/trunk/Scribus@6750
> PROPOSAL1: verify authorship and licensing of this file.
> PROPOSAL2: fogra27l is superseded by fogra39l, according to
> http://alturl.com/ztw34 (should take to fogra.org website). Using fogra39l
> would lead to the same situation. See also http://www.color.org/fogra39.xalter
> PROPOSAL3: switch to a verified free profile.

This profile has been removed in git master.

> plugins/colorengines/lcms2/colorprofiles/data/CMY.icm (copyright Sun
> Microsystems, 1996)
> This is very problematic. Debian packages can't ship this file without
> clarifying licensing which I couldn't find anywhere.
> Added in
> svn://svn.kde.org/home/kde/trunk/koffice/krita/data/profiles/CMY.icm@365801
> PROPOSAL1: verify authorship and licensing of this file.
> PROPOSAL2: switch to a verified free profile. Here is a public domain, generic
> CMYK:
> http://www.argyllcms.com/cmyk.icm (see also
> http://sourceforge.net/p/lcms/mailman/message/32755884/ )

This profile has been replaced in git master by Greame's profile.

In general, it's probably a good idea for linux distributions to make Krita depend on \
argyll and openicc's profile packages. (I'm not sure if those are separate in Debian, \
                I'm an opensuse user). For my windows builds, I'll just package those \
                as well.
--
Boudewijn Rempt
http://www.valdyas.org, http://www.krita.org