List:       calligra-devel
Subject:    Re: next release and release pace in general
From:       Boudewijn Rempt <boud () valdyas ! org>
Date:       2013-02-12 8:22:07

On Sunday 10 February 2013 Feb, Cyrille Berger Skott wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Here is my opinion on release schedule. First, we have to go back and think
> about why we do release ? And more important, to whom we do release ? For me,
> it is obvious that we primarly release to bring improvements to our users,
> everything else is and should be a side effect.
>
> == Targeting users
>
> Then we have to know our users, and the following is based uniquely on my
> experience with talking with other people, technical, and non-technical, young
> or older, if someone had a study on the subject, I would be very interested to
> read it, but anyway, I would say there are two categories of users, those who
> don't want any changes at all in the software they use and those who like to
> see improvements. Personnaly, I think that when we release, we can safely
> ignore the first group of users, there is no law that say that a user have to
> upgrade, hence that group of users is well served by a fast or a slow release
> cycle.
>
> For the second group of users, it seems to me, that they appreciate
> improvements, weather features or bug fixing, and would strongly dislike
> disruptive changes (major UI overhaul and regressions). But to be honest, that
> would be true for any release schedule length. To be honest, based on that, I
> would even be suggesting monthly release, continuously bringing features and
> bug fixing, but that would be a QA nightmare.

If we want to provide users with improvements, we need to have users in the first \
place. That's simply not the case, and in order to get more users, we have to be able \
to tell them what is available. The only moment we can do that is in with a release, \
because only releases get picked up by press and news sites.

> == The competition
>
> This assumptions about users appreciating continuous non-disruptive
> improvements, that have led Google to release Chrome every six weeks, Firefox
> is also now following that schedule. The Linux Kernel get a major release
> every four weeks. If you look at web site and web applications, they get
> continuous improvements that are silently rolled to users. This is the current
> trend in the industry, release early and release often.

But those projects are not the competition. The competition is LibreOffice (just had \
their 4.0 release with lots of coverage and a very nice special website landing page \
for 4.0), MS Office, GIMP, MyPaint, Photoshop and so on. None of these projects are \
on continuous releases, and they all use their releases to generate publicity.

> == Splash
>
> I don't think release should be used for making a "splash", I fail to see the
> benefit for our users, also, we would have to define what is a "splash", same
> with defining important features: what is an important feature for someone is
> completely unimportant for someone else, also, developers tend to vastly
> overestimate the time it will take to complete a feature, which is the problem
> with goal-oriented features, they keep dragging on, waiting for some features
> to be finished.
>
> So yes, our releases announcement looks like they don't contain so much. My
> suggestion would be that once a year we write (rather collect) a small leaflet
> with all the new features and improvements that have happen during the last
> year, pretty much like Krita's leaflet (http://krita.org/aboutkrita26.pdf).
> And then we send that to the press, along with a presskit, and I am rather
> convinced that it will be much more efficient at attracting attention than
> waiting for having sufficient features to do a release.

This is the point where I disagree most with you: if want to get more users and more \
developers we have to get publicity. And basically, apart from bad stuff happening \
like forks, releases are the only hook news sites and press acknowledge for writing \
about an application.

I think making a splash is actually the most important thing of a release. Just look \
at the amount of interest the 2.6 release has just generated for Krita.

> == Reaching users
>
> Fedora and Ubuntu are on a six months schedule with freeze early March and
> early September. OpenSuse is on a 8 months schedule. However, rolling
> distributions are getting increasingly popular, with Gentoo and ArchLinux,
> Debian has started discussing it, Ubuntu is rumured to introduce it soon. Also
> most distributions offers backport of the latest software.
>
> And that is only Linux, but the hard truth is that if Calligra become
> successful, most of its users will be Windows user, where we are not dependent
> on distributions release schedule.

That is not reaching users: it's making software available. It's perfectly possible \
to make our software available regularly and still reach basically no-one.

--
Boudewijn Rempt