List:       calligra-devel
Subject:    Re: Using the Tables brand/trade name for a spreadsheet application
From:       Stuart Dickson <stuart.dickson () kogmbh ! com>
Date:       2012-03-07 15:03:57

On 07/03/2012 14:46, Boudewijn Rempt wrote:
> On Wednesday 07 March 2012 Mar, Jaroslaw Staniek wrote:
> > On 7 March 2012 15:10, Sebastian Sauer<mail@dipe.org>  wrote:
> >
> > > The Abacus Spreadsheet Formula compiler:
> > > http://code.google.com/p/formulacompiler/
> > > from the Abacus Research AG (1985-today):
> > > http://www.formulacompiler.org/download/abacus.htm
> > >
> > > I really think we should not rename to Abacus if we do not plan to make some
> > > lawyers even more rich.
> > This is going insane if we go this way (Thorsten, please don't click! ;) ):
> >
> > http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/28956/presentation-stage
> >
> > Abacus is as common term as Spreadsheet. Of course so do Windows is...
> But abacus isn't descriptive of what calligra tables is. The application is not an \
> abacus; it's a spreadsheet. And that makes a lot of difference.

I was wondering whether Calligra "Columns" would be reasonable - given
that spreadsheets tend to comprise columns of data?

Or does this run into confusion, similar to Tables verses tables (in Words)?
I'm sure it must have already been suggested/discussed/discounted?

--
Stuart Dickson
// KO GmbH http://kogmbh.com/legal/