List:       calligra-devel
Subject:    Re: GSoC idea
From:       Sebastian Sauer <mail () dipe ! org>
Date:       2012-02-24 12:59:09

On 02/24/2012 09:41 AM, Kevin Krammer wrote:
> On Friday, 2012-02-24, Sebastian Sauer wrote:

>>> Well, actually dbus _is_ available on both Windows and OSX.
>> 1. re Windows; Not per default what means you need to ship your own
>> version of it in the installer. If any app does that then it completely
>> voids what dbus is for.
> This is mainly a packaging question.

I think that would would improve the situation for software that is
requiring dbus.

However I think it's not direct related to the problem named in point 1.
The main part was about Windows already having IPC that is used by
Software there we maybe would like to communicate with and cannot with
dbus. What would really rock is if someone gets support for Windows IPC
into dbus so dbus could be used for such scenarios.

In Calligra I do not see that we have any use for dbus. We just don't.
Also if I look around the KDE software-landscape I have hard times to
find software that really requires dbus and where a port to Windows
would make sense. I think Kontact was such a case but then with Akonadi
that's obsolete too afaik.

The ideal solution, in my opinion, would be a slim-IPC layer on top of
dbus. So, something that does not provide the full richness dbus allows
but only covers simple use-cases. Such a layer could then use dbus on
Linux, "WinIPC" on Windows, those Notification-thngs on OSX and whatever
is available on other platforms.

> I think even on Linux each D-Bus client
> has an (indirect) dependency on the D-Bus daemon.

Compile-time cause of the headers or what you mean with "on the daemon"?

> The Windows way of doing this kind of shared dependencies seems to be to
> include an installer for the shared component which either checks if it has to
> perform its task or the main installer checks if it has to run the component
> one.

Yes. that's how e.g. .NET is handled.

>> 2. re OSX; my knowledge is a few years old but back then when I hacked
>> on dbus making it running at>=Vista I did not found a single line of
>> code that handles OSX. But I can imagine that it changed meanwhile. In
>> any case I doubt it's well maintained and it definitively is not straith
>> forward to work on that code-base.
> My guess would be that it is the exact same code as on Linux, OSX does have
> Unix domain sockets, doesn't it?

I just had a look and indeed support for OSX >=10.4 exists. But I doubt
it's in a good state. Well, OSX-hackers are hard to get for such kind of
tasks ;)