List:       calligra-devel
Subject:    Re: Calligra on Tizen and beyond
From:       Boudewijn Rempt <boud () valdyas ! org>
Date:       2011-09-30 16:17:52

On Friday 30 September 2011 Sep, Jaroslaw Staniek wrote:

> Dear All, let's step back and think what the broadway-like stuff
> really is. This is not HTML5 app but client (viewer) for server
> process that is still native GTK/Qt app that may be.

Yes, that's true.

> HTML5 app is the
> one that you can use without extra runtimes also, say, on Android and
> iOS. This is what Zemlin
> The native app does not benefit in any way from browser security, just
> like switching from x11 graphicsystem to -raster changes nothing is
> this regard. I would also say more layers is a pain with not benefit.
>
> There is no Calligra for HTML5 and I think we do not even think about
> it. WebODF is a viewer.

No, that's not true. WebODF is also an editor. It's the only thing that can \
reasonably be packaged as a wac app -- and in fact, is on Android and iOS already..

> My proposal for announcing support (that costs us close to nothing)

We cannot announce support for something that doesn't exist yet, not with a straight \
face. Besides, calligra couldn't be a first class citizen because the one thing \
that's certain about Tizen is that it won't have Qt on it.

> for Tizen comes because I believe there will be no mature free
> software rich office HTML5 app anytime soon for WebOS^w Tizen.

Tizen and WebOS don't have anything to do with each other. And iirc, WebOS actually \
did contain Qt libraries by default -- but then, it also had a full-featured \
close-source right office suite by default as well, according to the presentation I \
saw at HP's booth at MWC in Barcelona.

> Anything you do in such development is constrained by WAC unless you
> agree to break compatibility and inject binary lib - then you'd have
> to deploy it to other systems too (but the why to skip native Qt
> programs?)

I don't agree. I think it's perfectly possible to write a full-featured office suite \
in html + javascript. Google has already done that.

> As for Android support, let's go for it (annoncement is needed to get
> dedicated people on board).
> In the meantime we'll also have to decide for at least one more
> announcement - what kind of support we offer for the forthcoming
> Meltemi OS.

A free software project cannot announce support for an os that nobody has seen yet, \
that nobody knows for real what it's about, that closed, unreleased and a corporate \
in-house game. So the calligra project shouldn't announce support in any format for \
Tizen nor Meltemi.

Tizen is closed, proprietary vapourware at the moment. Let's wait until it \
materializes before we do anything there. Same with Meltemi (though Meltemi is more \
likely place for Calligra, since it's Qt + QML, and we have that already in Calligra \
Active.)

--
Boudewijn Rempt