List:       calligra-devel
Subject:    Re: Active & Calligra
From:       Boudewijn Rempt <boud () valdyas ! org>
Date:       2011-04-29 20:33:24

On Friday 29 April 2011 Apr, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> hi all..
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MADKdbN8nyY
> http://aseigo.blogspot.com/2011/04/plasma-active-calligra-active.html

Nice blog :-)

> the Calligra user interface isn't quite there yet, but that's what Plasma
> Active is all about: helping the various efforts within the KDE community come
> together and focus on making awesome things on devices like tablets. we know
> we have a good long road ahead of us, and that is something that raises our
> excitement and determination.

Well, what you see there on the video is the rebranded FreOffice. It's QWidget-based \
and was developed for Maemo. I think this was discussed before, but what can go into \
Plasma Active is Shantanu's work on a QML-based gui for Calligra. He needs a lot of \
help there, since it's a huge task. Especially in a world where the components for \
search, buttons, file pickers and so on aren't done.

> you can easily track Calligra development on Plasma Active as we will be
> rolling new snapshots via OBS on a regular basis and putting out a new live
> image every 2 weeks with the latest and greatest on it.

Which OBS are you using?

> there are a number of interface issues we ran into when testing Calligra on
> tablets, but i'm not sure how many of these issues you are already aware of or
> how much feedback you'd like/appreciate at this point. guide us :)

Well, they are more or less irrelevant, since what you're looking at now is the old \
FreOffice -- and that will be replaced by Shantanu's work (see the "Branding \
Calligra's QML UI as Calligra Active" thread). He might be able to reuse some code, \
but my experience with developing similar QML-based gui's for Calligra suggests that \
there's little that can actually be reused.

> we live in interesting times, and we're only beginning... :)

One thing I'm wondering about is the actual stack you're proposing: does plasma \
active run on any linux distribution, or on MeeGo -- and if it runs on MeeGo, how are \
you proposing integration with MeeGo architecture components like tracker, the QML \
components and so on?

--
Boudewijn Rempt | http://www.valdyas.org, http://www.krita.org