List:       calendarserver-users
Subject:    Re: [CalendarServer-users] Important: Unexpected recurrence instances returned
From:       Cyrus Daboo <cdaboo () apple ! com>
Date:       2017-10-26 19:44:03

Hi Gaurav,

--On October 26, 2017 at 12:40:56 PM -0700 Gaurav Jain
<monkeyfdude@gmail.com> wrote:

> When I send DTSTART;TZID=America/Los_Angeles:20171026T030000, it works.

OK, I was thinking it might be related to the time zone used with DTSTART.

> I have a different question, is it necessary to send VTIMEZONE within the
> iCalendar object  for recurrence to work?
>
> After the above changes, it works even if there is no VTIMEZONE in
> iCalendar object.

Most iCalendar servers and client now support iCalendardata without a
VTIMEZONE assuming the time zone id being used is one of the standard IANA
time zones. If you are sending the iCalendar data to an "unknown" system
(e.g. via email) then it is safer to always include the VTIMEZONE.

--
Cyrus Daboo