List:       caldera-users
Subject:    Re: Linux Shoot-Out
From:       dep <dep () westnet ! com>
Date:       1999-09-07 1:54:52

On Mon, 06 Sep 1999, Bill Campbell wrote:

|The thing I find scary for Caldera ``Linux for Business'' is the final
|paragraph:
|
|  If you're putting together a mission-critical enterprise server, though,
|  Red Hat's your best bet. It's tech support rocks: when you set up file
|  sharing for your company, for instance, and you hit an installation snag,
|  you won't have to wait for tech support to reply to your email, as is the
|  case with Caldera. Sure, you can buy better support from Caldera, but Red
|  Hat gives you built-in phone support for far less.  Plus, Red Hat throws
|  a bunch of server applications onto its bonus CD-ROM, so you can try
|  loads of new software without waiting for long downloads. Red Hat's focus
|  is on making Linux work for the IT world. We think it has succeeded.
|
|Caldera is supposed to be emphasising commercial stability and support.

commercial distributions are cheap. i've dealt with both red hat and
caldera on the phone. i voted with my pocketbook. i'm running col
2.2. i suspect red hat would have been more cooperative if i'd said i
was a magazine writer working on a review. which would have been fine
if i were interested in getting tech support, but no fun at all if i
were a magazine writer working on a review. the latter is far more
fun if you're just some schmo calling up. in which case caldera has
always been great for initial problems, and red hat essentially told
me that the free support consisted of advising me to insert the cd in
my poop chute.

--
                2000 is a number that breaks computers.