List:       caldera-users
Subject:    Re: sendmail starts diald ...
From:       Andrew Dyer <adyer () Venus ! mcs ! net>
Date:       1998-05-31 15:44:06

On Sun, 31 May 1998, Paul S. Russell wrote:

> I've now discovered sendmail is not the culprit. It seemed like more
> than a coincidence that sendmail was starting every 15mins and diald
> starts every 15mins - but, I killed the sendmail process and diald is
> still waking up every 15mins.
>
> Does anyone have any ideas why it would do this?

You can use the dcntl program that comes with diald to list which ports
on your machine are requesting service, and to what destination they
are requesting it from.  I would bet it's some program trying to
resolve a DNS name.  If so you might want to look into setting up a
caching only DNS server for your local site.

| Andrew Dyer                       <adyer@midway.com> or <adyer@mcs.net>     |
| Sr. Design Engineer               (773) 961-1751                            |
| Midway Games, Inc.                (773) 961-1890 (fax)                      |
| 2727 W. Roscoe Ave., Chicago, IL 60618                                      |