List:       caldera-users
Subject:    Re: Samba
From:       Cokey de Percin <cokeydepercin () usa ! net>
Date:       1998-05-30 23:09:39

Bruce S. Marshall wrote:

> I have Samba running between and OS/2 box and a Linux box.   I can see and use \
> files on the Linux box from the OS/2 side but don't know what mechanism to use to \
> access OS/2 files from the Linux side.

Ok, what version of OS/2 are you running?  You need a version that has
Peer Services in it or
Warp Server or is there a version of Samba for OS/2?  I think I've seen
one...  In any case, you need some sort of server process similar to
what Win95/NT have or sharing services.  If you have Warp Connect 3.0 or
better you should have Peer Services and you should be able to set up
peer connections again in the same manner you would under Win95/NT.  You
can then use smbmount to mount an 'exported' service on your Linux file
system.  I'v only tried this from a Linux SMB server, but the idea's the
same.  Note that the key to all this is that you must have some sort of
SMB server services on the OS/2 box to connect back from Linux to OS/2.
Note also that smbclient connects you in a manner similar to ftp, but
that smbmount actually mounts the service on the file system like an NFS
mount.

Best

Cokey