List:       caldera-users
Subject:    RE: xisp isn't setting resolv.conf
From:       dep <dep () westnet ! com>
Date:       1998-05-30 1:47:14

On 29-May-98 Daryl Biberdorf wrote:
|I've recently re-established an xisp setup to handle a PPP setup.
|On the TCP/IP Options window, I enabled "Support ip-up/ip-down"
|and entered two DNS servers.
|
|It connects fine, but no entries get placed into /etc/resolv.conf,
|so no DNS queries work.
|
|Any ideas as to why xisp isn't doing these right?

sure do. 1.) your isp uses password authentication protocol (pap), and
your pap-secrets file is improperly configured.  2.) your isp doesn't use
pap, but you've provided it no script. 3.) your isp uses some goofy
version of pap that isn't quite standard -- i've encountered this, and it
made life miserable until it got figured out -- so you need to provide it
a script. fortunately, setting up for pap and not using the secrets file
is fairly simple in xisp: enter your user name and password in the top two
fields, select pap (not pap-s) below, and otherwise alter nothing. i have
found that using this iteration of pap is more reliable than is using the
pap-s version, which invokes pap secrets. one thing to do, too, is to dial
your isp with a terminal program. if you can og on -- never mind ppp for
now -- manually, then you're just as well off scripting into the isp.
which of course means pay close attention to and write down the stuff you
need to tell xisp to expect. and if you have DNS entries to put into isp,
then they ought to be put into resolve.conf, too. the syntax, if memory
serves, is:

nameserver XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX

where nameserver is the word nameserver, not the name of the nameserver,
and the xes are the fqdn of your isp (for instance, for westnet it would
be:
nameserver 206.24.6.2
nameserver 206.24.6.9 )

and i'd pretty much forget checking the up/down stuff. at most isps it's
not necessary.

dep

dep@westnet.com

those who say they seek to serve often seek instead to rule.

This message was sent by XFMail