List:       caldera-users
Subject:    Re: desktop mangers and sys admin tools
From:       "Hal \(DCI\)" <hal () faamsnet ! com>
Date:       1997-12-31 23:40:36

On Wed, 31 Dec 1997, Donnie Barnes wrote:

> >> Why do people think they HAVE to reveal the source code if they port to
> >> Linux?
> >
> >Because they might not understand. There is so much 'Mis-Information' in
> >the Linux-Info press that the real story never gets to the people that CAN
> >make the decision to port propriority software to Linux.
> >
> >I would think that Debian/Red Hat/Caldera could at least agree for a few
> >moments and draft a 'Joint' technical briefing paper that would dispell
> >for the major ISV's and product houses the notion of 'FREE' vs 'FREEDOM'
> >as well the source code issues involved with the Linux community.
>
> This is just an FYI...when you say "Debian/Red Hat/Caldera" should
> get together and do something like this what you *really* mean is
> that Linux International should do something.  The three you mention
> *and* nearly everyone else in the Linux community is a member of that
> organization.  Concerns like these can be brought before LI and
> probably should be.  See http://www.li.org for more details.

But Donnie, 'Debian/Red Hat/Caldera' are the leading distributions of
Linux to the commercial markets. People like Digi...et all could prolly
care less about the position of the LI and more concerned with your joint
positions on the issue.

> It is LI's job to promote Linux and help dispell rumors that cause
> ISV's so much grief.  That still means that the folks you mention will
> be involved, it's just a much larger group that should have more
> resources for this type of thing.

You mean the RH folks do not promote Linux ??

If the LI is so wunnerful, what are you having this discussion on the
Window Manager that is causing grief to some of the observers here
starting to doubt their choice of Linux in the first place ?

LI may be the best forum for the technical paper, you three, Debian/Red
Hat/Caldera have the MOST to gain from such a document through increased
sales of product.

--Hal.
Davison Consulting
Sarasota Florida