List:       caldera-users
Subject:    Re: window manager configuration
From:       Robert Hart <hartr () interweft ! com ! au>
Date:       1997-12-31 21:38:22

On Tue, 30 Dec 1997, Evan Leibovitch wrote:

> So can you tell me *now* why Red Hat isn't involved in COAS? If Debian can
> work around the Qt objection, why can't you?

As Donnie Barns has already said...

   Caldera did not invite Red Hat's participation in the initial
   design - and we have some serious reservations about some aspects.
   Red Hat is now evaluating Linuxconf (again).

   It is also worth pointing out that Caldera Network Desktop was
   initially based on Red Hat and used the (GPL'd) basic admin tools
   that were part of our distribution. Caldera then chose (as is its
   right) to go its own way and drop the use of our tools. It is
   somewhat strange for Red Hat therefore to be criticised on a
   Caldera list for showing NIH symptoms!

> Proof, please.

(Of the refutation of NIH sysmtoms at Red Hat)

Good grief Evan!

Take a look at the Red Hat distribution - how much of that has Red Hat
written? I realise that this was not software written by other
distributions, but if you actually LOOK for admin type software
written by other distros - there is nothing with the capability of
Linuxconf (except possibly COAS in the future).

Are we supposed to use COAS _just because_ it was written by someone
else (particularly when we have reservations about its capabilities
and free distribution)? I doubt that this is what you mean.

In terms of Admin tools, there are very few possibilities out there.
We are now taking a second look at Linuxconf - but we are also
watching COAS. We have yet to decide what we are going to do.

This whole discussion smacks somewhat of 'Have you stopped beating
your wife?", so let me just restate...

Red Hat is not using anyone else's admin tool at present because there
is not an admin tool available right now that meets what we perceive
as the needs for such a tool. We are re-evaluating Linuxconf and we
are watching COAS. At some time in the future we will make a decision
on this issue.

Let's just leave it there shall we?

Robert Hart                             hartr@redhat.com
Manager, Support Services