List:       caldera-users
Subject:    Re: Linux locks up
From:       Keith Dart <kdart () cisco ! com>
Date:       1997-12-29 17:59:17

On Mon, 29 Dec 1997, UDP-Alex Bartonek wrote:

> I dont know if this is a fixed bug or not..but here it goes...
>
> I'm running OpenLinux Base 1.1  2.0.29 build kernel (I just bought
> it..so I havent upgraded the kernel)
>
> I have a Cyrix 686 PR200 with a 6x CD ROM
>
> When I'm using 'glint', and click on available packages, it starts
> searching my CDROM (where Linux CD is)
> for all the packages that I can install, then while its doing that, I
> click on a window to pop it to the front, and
> Linux locks up on me...Is that a bug with Linux, or has this issue
> already been addressed in the newest build?

Hmm, you might want to re-build your kernel, and build it as a '486 or
even a '386, not a Pentium. I've seen many reports of problems with the
Cyrix chips. Probably due to not being 100% compatible with a Pentium.

> BTW, for a newbie Linux user, which books do you'all recommend?

Are you familiar with Unix already? If not, I'd suggest a good Intro to
Unix book. It works about the same.

Keith Dart, Devtest Engineer                   <mailto:kdart@cisco.com>
Cisco Systems                                    phone: +1.408.527.1391
Network to User Business Unit                    pager: +1.800.365.4578
internal web page: <http://kdart-pc2.cisco.com>    fax: +1.408.527.3778