List:       caldera-users
Subject:    Re: Trouble with LILO
From:       wayward <wayward () citynet ! net>
Date:       1997-11-28 21:08:37

Mark McDonald wrote:

> I had successfully installed OpenLinux Lite, although I was having trouble
> getting the Xwindows configured.  I decided to re install.  Now after the
> installation (and on a hard reboot) all I get is "LI" then the system freezes.
>
> I can boot from CD and transfer over to the hard drive and I get a little
> farther, but it fails with a message similiar to "cannot mount filesystem..."
>
> My guess is that LILO is not reinstalling correctly - can anyone help?

Sounds like it didn't update the boot sector successfully
  or you didn't type lilo at the command prompt...
  or you didn't let the install update your boot sector of your first
partition...
  or you had anti-virus protection set ON in your bios preventing it
from writing to the boot sector...

Also, did you edit /etc/lilo.conf and identify the existing kernels,
their locations and where it should go? Lotsa stuff to do after the
install! :) Good luck! Ric