List:       caldera-users
Subject:    Re: Serial Number?
From:       evan () telly ! org (Evan Leibovitch)
Date:       1997-01-09 2:08:54

wcope@micron.net writes:

> Mark,
> I had the same registration number omission in my product
> package.  You will need to get in contact with Caldera direct
> and have them send you a registration sheet. My retailer helped
> me on this.  Somebody at Caldera goofed.

Hate to say this, but that's unlikely.

When Caldera sends Partners product for resale, each box is accompanied
by a serial number sheet. It's the *reseller's* responsibility to ensure
that:

- The buyer knows what their serial number is;
- Caldera has the name of the purchaser.

The former is necessary for support calls or future upgrade purchases
(as a "proof of sale"); the latter puts the user's name on Caldera's
mailing list, to ensure that they get items that Caldera has promised
to users (such as the Solutions CD).

If you buy direct from Caldera they have already done the registration
and the invoice should indicate your serial number. If you buy from a
reseller, it's the reseller's responsibility to do these things.

Occasionally resellers get products that are not accompanied by serial
numbers. These items are promotional/demo/in-store copies that are not
for resale; such is standard practise not only for Caldera, but also
companies such as Corel also send out dealer copies without S/Ns.

--
  Evan Leibovitch, Sound Software Ltd, located in beautiful Brampton, Ontario
 Supporting PC-based Unix since 1985 / Caldera & SCO authorized / www.telly.org