List:       caldera-netware
Subject:    Re: Advertising
From:       Andy Johnson <lajandy () fullnet ! com>
Date:       1999-01-18 3:54:57

Mauricio Almeida wrote:

> Even thought IPX in Linux is configured for 802.3? If so, one of the IPX
> config files is useless....

*Linux* supports 802.3 frames, *NetWare for Linux* does not.  There was a post
on this list a couple of months ago about it; a Caldera person could probably go
into more depth about it.  Although there are several differences between the
802.3 and 802.2 frame types, the biggest thing was Ethernet_802.3 doesn't
support IPX checksums, which are required for NDS (or possibly some other part
of NWL).

<digression>
Let's face it though, people:  it's almost the 21st century.  If you have stuff
that can't use 802.2, chances are it's so old it's not year 2000 compliant,
anyway.
</digression>