List:       cairo
Subject:    Re: [cairo] OpenType font variations and cairo
From:       Adrian Johnson <ajohnson () redneon ! com>
Date:       2017-09-19 12:53:50

On 19/09/17 21:02, Matthias Clasen wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 19, 2017 at 7:04 AM, Adrian Johnson <ajohnson@redneon.com
> <mailto:ajohnson@redneon.com>> wrote:
>

> On 18/09/17 01:03, Matthias Clasen wrote:
> > On Sun, Sep 17, 2017 at 1:12 AM, Adrian Johnson <ajohnson@redneon.com \
> > <mailto:ajohnson@redneon.com> <mailto:ajohnson@redneon.com \
> > <mailto:ajohnson@redneon.com>>> wrote: I've attached a patch that refactors the \
> > float parsing code from cff-subset into a new function: _cairo_strtod(). So you \
> > can now use this for a C locale strtod.
> >

> > Yay, thanks.It might still be nice to apply the strtod_l patch on top,
> > and only use that code as fallback.
>
> -1. Just use the cairo_strtod all the time. We don't use non ANSI C
> functions with #include guarded fallbacks in cairo. It adds to source
> code bloat and one side of the #if won't get regularly tested.
>

> I disagree, at least in this case, but your call.

We don't do it that way in cairo. If the fallback works just use it all
the time.

> I'm getting a test failure running font-variations. The test log is:
>
> axis Weight, value 19660800
> axis CNTR, value 0
> Axis Weight: not expected value (19660800 != 13107200)
>
> I have tried both the otf and ttf version of the Adobe Variable Font
> Prototype v1.003. Same result for both.
>
> I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. Could the test be sensitive to my
> fontconfig configuration? I am using Debian Stretch.
>

> It sounds unlikely to me. Maybe Behdads fontconfig patches interfere here?
> I've written the test on a system without them.

I did some more testing. With my system fontconfig (2.11) the test
failed (same result) when using the ttf font. FC 2.11 did not recognize
the otf font.

I tested fontconfig 2.12.5. The test crashed with both the ttf and otf
fonts due to a divide by zero error.

What version of FC are you using and which font (otf or ttf)?

Is there some printfs you could add to help debug this?