List:       cacti-user
Subject:    Re: [cacti-user] Refreshing graphs/Juniper Q
From:       Reinhard Scheck <Reinhard.Scheck () team-scheck ! de>
Date:       2007-10-28 10:08:38

Please find a complete set of documentation at http://docs.cacti.net

> [1] Once we have added a device (say a router) and created the related
> graphs, how do we create new/refreshed graphs if we have added new
> interfaces (or change the interface description, etc) on the router.
For Data Queries, such as "Interface Traffic", there's a "Re-Index Method" that
governs this behaviour. The default setting is "Uptime goes backwards", detected
by sysUptime having a lower value (= system was rebootet).
You may select "Interface Count Changed", which is pretty self-explaining or
"Verify All Fields" which checks for changes of all Index Fields of the XML that
belongs to that Data Query.

> [2] Also I have successfully got the Cacti up and running, and is
> polling about 50 Cisco devices. I am trying the same on two Juniper
> boxes we have. Adding the device, creating the graphs (with the generic
> SNMP template), and placing these graphs on the graphs tree all work.
> But after some time on the Console->Devices page I see that the status
> is 'Down' and so no graphs are created. Is there a log file to check on
> what can cause this. The Juniper boxes are working well with MRTG, and
> SNMP permissions all seem to be correct.
In most cases, such a problem is related to "Downed Host Detection". Before
polling a device, cacti will check availability via Ping+SNMP or Ping only or
SNMP only; see "Settings". If the device is detected as "down", it will not be
polled. For me, SNMP checks work best.
New Cacti 0.8.7 provides this settings on a per host base to offer more flexibility.

You may want to consider the http://forums.cacti.net to find more traffic
compared to this mailing list.

Reinhard